Archive -

Bahrain GP Postponed

The Bahrain Grand Prix has been postponed due to the ongoing unrest inside the state. A statement issued on behalf of Bahrain's Crown Prince said Bernie Ecclestone had been advised of the decision earlier in the day. "At the present time the country's entire attention is focused on building a new national dialogue for Bahrain," the Crown Prince said. "Although Bernie Ecclestone had graciously made clear that a decision on the race was entirely Bahrain's to make and was not yet required. We felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain's Formula One race to a later date. "After the events of the past week, our nation's priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united." The final round of pre-season winter tests, which were set to be held in Bahrain on 3rd March have also been cancelled. The teams are due to meet after the last day of tests in Barcelona this evening to decide on an alternative location for the final winter test session. Speaking to the BBC Bernie Ecclestone said "It's sad that Bahrain has had to withdraw from the race. We wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country. The hospitality and warmth of the people of Bahrain is a hallmark of the race there, as anyone who has been at a Bahrain Grand Prix will testify. We look forward to being back in Bahrain soon." The 2011 F1 season will now start with the Australian Grand Prix on March 27.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Tags

Sale

Unavailable

Sold Out