Archive -

Ecclestone to Decide on Bahrain GP Next Week

The 2011 seasoner opener is due to take place in Bahrain on the 13th March. Although, after the recent and ongoing violence in the Gulf state, which has already caused the cancellation of the GP2 Asia race this weekend. Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that it "doesn't look good" for the 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix. "We'll make a decision by Tuesday or Wednesday (next week) If things stay as they are today, the answer is no," he told Reuters when asked whether he felt the race at Sakhir circuit would go ahead. If it's not quietened down by Wednesday, I think we will have to cancel probably. If you are making travel arrangements, I'd say don't," Ecclestone also told The Press Association taht he had spoken to Bahrain's Crown Prince earlier on Thursday for an update on the situation and would speak to him again on Friday. "I spoke to the Crown Prince this morning. He doesn't know any more than you or I, but they're monitoring exactly what is going on. Next week we will make a decision on what we are going to do." At least three people were killed on Wednesday evening after Bahraini police stormed a protest camp in a central Manama square. The decision could well be taken out of the FIA's hands as the F1 teams are due to meet on Friday when they might agree to stay away. Plus, with the comments of two GP2 personnel in Bahrain including Team Air Asia's Davide Valsecchi and Racing Engineering team principal Alfonso, might help the F1 teams to decide. ESPNF1 reports that Valsecchi said: "My hotel is just 800m away from the centre of the riot and I could hear shots of machine guns," While d'Orleans-Borbon added: "There are Saudi tanks everywhere, and during the night we heard shots." Meanwhile, the pre-season testing, which is scheduled to begin on the 3rd March at the Sakhir circuit looks increasingly unlikely to go ahead. The Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) is now considering staying in Barcelona for the final pre-season test if the situation in Bahrain remains uncertain.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Tags

Sale

Unavailable

Sold Out